By Kevin Williams / May, 22
Hey there, we all know the importance of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for the success of our websites. But did you know that creating SEO friendly URLs is a super important aspect of SEO? If you’re using WordPress (which I’m guessing you are, since you’re reading this), you’re in luck!
Optimizing your URLs for SEO is a breeze. Today, we’ll talk about why SEO friendly URLs matter, share some tips on creating them, and show you how to set up WordPress to generate them automatically. So, let’s get started!
There are some pretty awesome reasons to create SEO friendly URLs for your WordPress site:
1. Better User Experience: Clean, simple, and descriptive URLs make your readers’ lives easier. They can quickly understand what a page is about just by looking at the URL. This means they’re more likely to click and explore your site.
2. Boosted Search Engine Visibility: Google and other search engines love SEO friendly URLs! They help crawlers understand your page’s content more efficiently, which improves your website’s ranking in search results.
3. Shareable URLs: When your URLs are easy to read and understand, people are more likely to share them on social media and other platforms. More shares = more traffic to your site. Win-win!
Keep these tips in mind when crafting URLs for your website:
1. Keywords are Key: Use relevant keywords in your URLs to help search engines (and readers) understand what your page is about. For example, if you’re writing about “WordPress SEO hacks,” your URL could be something like ‘yourblog.com/wordpress-seo-hacks’.
2. Short and Sweet: Nobody likes a long, confusing URL. Keep yours short and simple by avoiding unnecessary words (like ‘and’ or ‘the’). Your readers (and search engines) will thank you!
3. Hyphens are Your Friend: Use hyphens (-) to separate words in your URLs, not underscores (_) or spaces. Search engines treat hyphens as spaces, so they’re the best choice for readability and SEO.
4. Ditch Special Characters and Capitals: Stick to lowercase letters, numbers, and hyphens. Special characters and capital letters can cause confusion and lead to errors when sharing or linking to your content.
Good news! WordPress makes it super easy to generate SEO friendly URLs automatically. Here’s how to do it:
1. Log in to your WordPress dashboard (you know the drill).
2. Click on ‘Settings’ > ‘Permalinks.’
3. Under ‘Common Settings,’ choose the ‘Post name’ option. This creates a URL structure based on your post’s title, which is perfect for SEO.
4. Hit ‘Save Changes,’ and you’re all set!
That’s it, folks! By optimizing your URLs for SEO, you’ll give your WordPress site a serious boost in search engine rankings and increase its traffic. Just remember to make your URLs simple, descriptive, and packed with relevant keywords.
If you’re serious about SEO, supercharge your WordPress site with DataPacket’s Plesk Hosting! Benefit from lightning-fast speeds, advanced security, effortless updates, and one-click installation, all essential for your SEO success. All backed by 24/7 expert support. Don’t settle for less!
Kevin holds a Senior Tech position at DataPacket, where he excels as both a web developer and graphic designer. With his expertise in technical support, he consistently goes above and beyond, surpassing the expectations of clients and colleagues alike.